Shoe cartoon implying aliens would not currently find intelligent life on earth
Five Impossible Things
Intelligence – just us?
Humans seem to be intelligent
The “Drake” equation provides estimates of how many other intelligent beings may be in the universe
# of planets in life supporting zones ...
Of course – how can we tell?
The “Turing Test”Dilbert cartoon implying his boss is the first human to fail the Turing test
- WWII computer scientist - “Colossus”
Breaking enigma codes
- Rigorous definition of “computable”
- Test for Machine Intelligence
Two rooms each with a “terminal”
If you can't tell which one has the human...
- The Most Human Human discussion ...by Brian Christian
Computer complexity growing to match brain capacity (Kurzweil) – 2030 or so
Vinge: Computers that are “awake”
Networks that “wake up”
Cyborg integration to the super human
Bio science improvement of intellect
- Artificial Intelligence “from scratch”
- Emulating the brain
- Learning Systems &/or evolutionary ones
- Koza, John R., Martin A. Keane and Matthew J. Streeter. Evolving Inventions. Scientific American (February 2003)
Patent applied for devices that Koza et al do not understand
- Chemicals that 'improve' things (prozac ..)
- Rewiring or other intervention
- Implants (why just 20/20 vision?) -
- memory, calculator, etc. (Cyborg)
- Genetic Engineering – wouldn't you like your kids to “have the chance”?
The God Factor
- Humans shouldn't play God
(you may recall Eden and Babel)
- God may not let humans play god
Then again, She might
- It can't be done
But either God or Evolution did it ...
Analogy to astronomical “black hole”
Has an “Event Horizon” – it is impossible to see “inside” that horizon, light does not escape
If a super intelligent entity is created, and it takes over it's own evolution, where it goes will be “beyond our vision”
TransHuman – the next replicator
What's next? …
- It may be a modified version of us
- It may be an augmented version
- Or it could be something new
- Will we recognize it (human rights)
- And will they recognize us
Many countries have the diverse technologies – and fewer regulations
Recognition & notoriety for the scientists and engineers who 'make it happen'
There is money to be made, at least for a while
- Will we know it when we see it?
- Why aren't we considering Azmov's rules
- No harm to humans, …
- Do we have to be paranoid?
- News media and other fiction want a story
- Reality may well be much more bland
- A new meaning to “haves and have-nots”